Friday, May 10, 2013

Blair's Pure Death Hot Sauce Review

Blair's Pure Death Hot Sauce - [TSAAF Sauce Of The Year 2013]

UPDATE: Video support available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPjSikrJxUU

I hadn't planned on doing this review quite so soon, but something happened after I opened this bottle that left really no alternative and that is that of all the dozen or so sauces, some of them pretty decent, that were already opened, after I cracked this one, I wanted none of them quite so much. I was entirely overtaken by Pure Death and even though I've eaten enough for it to light me up decently, especially the next day, I keep coming back for more and more.

The sauce demonstrates why Blair is such a name and force in the hot sauce world, something the three previous offerings from him I tried didn't do. This thing also sort of reinforces the motto you hear from Chef Gordon Ramsay a lot, fresh, simple, good. In this case, we have four ingredients of habanero pods with some Ghost Chile, vinegar and red Hawaiian sauce and despite that seemingly simplicity, I could not find anything this didn't go with. It is also one of the best tasting sauces I've yet had and is going immediately into my standards list.

The habanero is not ill-tasting or overbearing and the combination of some nice up-front zing from the Bhuts along with the back-end building heat of the habaneros and you have some really good sustained heat. It's moderate, maybe 40 - 50K SHU (still enough for Back Of The Fridge), but melds nicely with the stunning flavor combination that Blair has managed to achieve here. This is now the current leader for sauce of the year and one of the few sauces where I state directly that if you have yet to try it, you should. Immediately.

Bottom Line: The first sauce I've seen that lives up to the ad copy on the bottle. In this case, "This is the sauce with no limits. Universal appeal the world over." To that, I concur wholeheartedly and add that the danger here is that if I have an open bottle handy, everything else is in danger of being neglected.

Breakdown:

   Heat level: 6
   Flavor: 10
   Flexibility: 10
   Enjoyment to dollar factor: 10

Overall: 9

No comments:

Post a Comment