Saturday, May 18, 2013

Blair's Salsa de la Muerte Hot Sauce Review

Blair's Salsa de la Muerte Hot Sauce

Note: Support video available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnUa3UPteJQ

Like the Q Heat, both Berzerker sauces reviewed here and the Hog's Ass, this fits best into the category of a Habanero-garlic sauce. To my mind, this is a better sauce than any of those and although different, probably gets the nod over my previous favorite, the Danny Cash Radical Heat entry. I've spent a decent amount of time with this type of sauce and if there is one universal hallmark, it is that the use of lime in these sauces tends to lean them heavily on the side of fish, with which they are best-suited, particularly fish tacos and with varying success to everything else. That is again the case here, though this sauce is fantastically done.

The ratios are spot-on, with nothing too overpowering or dominating and the sauce itself is pretty tasty. I've seen a number of odd information about this sauce, such as that it's a duplicate of the Original Death sauce, only with more Habaneros and Chipotle and perhaps slightly hotter, but there is another major distinction, which is why I was able to review the bottle. There are also no onions in this sauce listed in the ingredients and I didn't find any as I was eating it, either. Blair seems pretty conscientious with his labeling, so I'm confident there are none there.

Strangely, I didn't find this to be an overwhelmingly hot sauce. I'd put it in the range of El Yucateco Green, maybe around 10K or so, perhaps slightly hotter, but nowhere near the 35K or more Wikipedia (I know, I know) was listing. Then again, they had Pure Death at 48K, which is the range I estimated, all of which leads us inevitably back to the thought that the information on Wikipedia is frequently somewhat suspect.

Bottom line: This is, to date, the best version of the various Habanero-garlic sauces I've had. It is extremely well-balanced, has a good flavor and complements food fairly well, depending on what it is used on. Again, very moderate heat, but enough to not be a total wash. I wouldn't hesitate to get it again, but I don't know that I would necessary make getting more a point, either...

Breakdown:

   Heat level: 2
   Flavor: 8
   Flexibility: 8
   Enjoyment to dollar factor: 8

Overall: 7

No comments:

Post a Comment