Saturday, June 29, 2013

Tabasco Habanero Hot Sauce Review

Tabasco Habanero Hot Sauce

I don't think I especially owe Tabasco anything. They probably were my introduction to hot sauce, but I recall being very turned off the first time I had the watery vinegary stuff. I'm not a huge fan of the Tabasco pepper in general and were it not for some coupons, I probably wouldn't have gotten it at all. Still, I like to try new foods and the last thing I had from Tabasco prior to the Chipotle I reviewed recently was the Jalapeno, which I thought tasted ok, but didn't have any heat and thus made there little point in me getting it again.

Much like the Blazin' Saddles Tabasco/Habanero sauce I also reviewed in this blog, this one comes in a dropper bottle, in this case the traditional Tabasco brand "cologne" bottles. Most times I dislike that, but in this case, I think it works well to control the sauce, certainly much better than the Blazin' Saddles. Aside from that, there is little to add to that review. In comparison, it is a little less harsh, a lot less hot and costs about double. Aside from that, the two sauces are more like brothers than distant cousins. The ingredients are very similar, though the Tabasco lists onions, though, as well all know, with how thin Tabasco likes to run their sauces, this means onion powder (which I can tolerate considerably better than actual onions...at least in small doses).

Bottom line: Much like the Blazin' Saddles, I don't mind having this on hand, but it certainly is no replacement for anything. This is the hottest of Tabasco's line and there is precious little heat to be had there at all and the taste, while tolerable and better than the Original, is nothing spectacular. Basically a take it or leave it sauce.

Breakdown:

      Heat level: 2
      Flavor: 6
      Flexibility: 7
      Enjoyment to dollar factor: 6

Overall: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment