Saturday, January 27, 2018

Dave's Gourmet Scorpion Pepper Hot Sauce Review

Dave's Gourmet Scorpion Pepper Hot Sauce

Most of us are probably most familiar with Dave's from the Insanity sauce of his, long a staple of drunken party challenges and maybe the most well-known to break out extract to the population at large. This is not necessarily a good thing, as it did his company a disservice, causing a focus primarily to the heat, which is a shame, as there are some very good sauces output by the company. This is one of them.

Looking at the ingredient panel, there is not a whole ton going on here, basically just Scorpion peppers and the usual suspects of seasonings and preservatives. I kept catching hints of smoke and, at times, a touch of sweetness, which was interesting. The sauce is about a perfect consistency to not have a restrictor cap and I bounced back and forth from being thrown about how good it tasted, to wanting to back off a touch so I didn't get a heat overload and have my entire face tingling. Most of the time, I found a happy medium, but I've also managed to oversauce it more than a few times with this particular gem. It is a very tasty sauce, without question, one of the better ones to utilize this pepper, by my reckoning.

Make no mistake, though, this one does pack a wallop. It's kind of like taking a bite of a lit candle flame, as the heat is immediate and sharp. It does taper off fairly quickly after that, settling into a nice, slow build, but lips and tongue will get numb and tingly after a time from the build-up, if you keep going and because I liked the taste so much, I kept going.  After the initial feeling, which is kind of like, say, if you pricked yourself in the tongue with a cactus needle, it's not quite as intense, but with a few estimates putting this around 500K SHU, also about where I'd put it, it definitely is something that requires a degree of care. If you do oversauce, it won't tend to burn for hours on end, like heavy extract oversaucing will do, but rather settle into a nice warm sort of ember-y warmth. Still, I definitely recommend caution for mid-level chileheads, probably about where I'd put myself and avoidance entirely for non-chileheads.

Bottom line: Another great entry by Dave's Gourmet, one of the longest running purveyors for a reason. This not a casual entry point for introduction to the Scorpion peppers for beginners, but something better off for chileheads. For us, it is a great-tasting, solid heating and very worthy entry into the pantheon of sauces utilizing this pepper. It is also my first SOTY candidate for 2018.

Breakdown:

            Heat level: 8
            Flavor: 8
            Flexibility: 8
            Enjoyment to dollar factor: 8

Overall: 8

No comments:

Post a Comment