Monday, May 9, 2022

Jersey Barnfire Roasted Peach Habanero Hot Sauce

Jersey Barnfire Roasted Peach Habanero

Note: Support video available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI6T7OAvIAQ

Since the first sauce I had from Jersey Barnfire, not counting the misfire that was Murder By Primo (reviewed elsewhere here), I was very interested in trying more sauces from them, but that review came August of 2019 (Smoked Ghost Taco, reviewed elsewhere here), so despite my interest, it took me some time to get there. Partially this is because Roger at Burn Your Tongue keeps bringing so many fascinating new ones around and there are still quite a lot on his shelves for me to get caught up on every single sauce I want to do, but also because I throw in archive sauces for the FOH series and The Hot Ones show sauce project and it becomes really easy for something to fall out of mind, if it is not also in sight at the time I happen to be perusing those hallowed shelves.

Anyway, thanks again to Roger and his penchant for being partial to peaches, I wound up on that bandwagon as well and now my ears perk up when I know peaches are used in a sauce. I've tried to catalog as many peach sauces as I come across that meet the criteria, though as I get closer to the end, it becomes tinged with sadness, akin to Alexander's lament that there would soon be nothing left in the world to conquer. 

For this sauce, it is another beauty. When I see a word referencing fire in some way in the title of one of the Jersey Barnfire sauces, I now take it to be an indication that I will be in for a pretty good sauce and that is definitely the case here. While this is not a delicious sauce on the level of the Twisted Peach Reaper from Eddie Ojeda (reviewed elsewhere here), which remains the absolute pinnacle of any peach hot sauce I've had, this one is very, very solid. It doesn't have tons of ingredients, mostly peaches, sugar, Habaneros, and vinegar, which come together to gorgeous effect. Roasting fruits and vegetables tends to bring the inherent sweetness to the fore and clearly they chose some incredible fruits for the batch used here.

The vinegar as the second ingredient strikes me as cutting a bit more of the sweetness out of the sauce than would be appropriate for a grill sauce, but the flavor is still there. If you like peaches, this can be used nearly anywhere other than cream-sauces and heavy tomato sauce dishes. The sauce has a smooth consistency that is perhaps pushing being slightly too runny, but just barely, if so, and it does stick pretty well to foods. It's brilliant on pizza and meats, which is probably where this would normally go anyway, but you could easily use it as a dipping sauce for Asian foods. Heat-wise, it is quite moderate, so probably wouldn't be satisfying on tacos or Mexican-style food in general, but as far as a fruit-based sweet hot sauce, which peaches in general except at, this is another excellent one.

Bottom line: One of the better fruit-based sweet hot sauces out there. Perhaps not the outright best of the sauces featuring peach as the fruit, but definitely up towards the top. 

Breakdown:

            Heat level: 2
            Flavor: 10
            Flexibility: 7
            Enjoyment to dollar factor: 10

Overall: 7

No comments:

Post a Comment