Thursday, May 2, 2024

High Desert ToMango Habanero Hot Sauce Review

High Desert ToMango Habanero


Note: This sauce was provided for purposes of review by Roger Damptz of Burn Your Tongue. Check him out on Facebook.


Here we have a bit of an oddity. While I can think of numerous Habanero-mango sauces, and have done quite a few this year as well, I can’t think of any that include tomatoes. Using tomatoes in a sauce will generally tend to make them a lot more flexible, however, in this case, it is sort of the inverse. While I do like that they are fire-roasted, they are a bit on the acidic side and pairing that with the usual vinegar-Habanero-mango combination, particularly, as the mangos here are also a bit on the sour side, we have a lot of astringency to this sauce. It is a pretty unique flavor and I can’t think of anything I’ve had quite like it.   

Heat-wise, High Desert calls this “Sorta Medium,” which is a fine thing to call it. It’s pretty low heat for me and chileheads won’t be challenged at all by it, but there is enough of a charge there for non-chileheads to at least be aware of it before slogging it onto whatever food they want. As to that, while it is a very nicely blended more or less medium thick sauce, I found it worked best when you can let it be the dominant flavor, so think lighter meats like fish, pork, or chicken, as in battered and fried or grilled or roasted.

Bottom line: This is a pretty novel, intensely curious sauce that I like more than I dislike, but finding things to pair with it proved to definitely be somewhat of a challenge.

Breakdown:


           Heat level: 1
           Flavor: 6
           Flexibility: 3
           Enjoyment to dollar factor: 5

Overall: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment