Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Pex Peppers Atom Splitter Hot Sauce Review

Pex Peppers Atom Splitter

Note: Support video available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjiD8eumx00

This may be the last Pex sauce I wind up reviewing. I had initially thought I had already covered all what I meant to in the line-up, sans any new entries, but then the Puckerbutt Chocolate Plague (reviewed elsewhere here) came along and I was confronted rather forcefully by a mostly unfamiliar to me superhot. So, thus started my journey of discovery of the 7-Pot Douglah (I know the aforementioned other sauce is a Bhutlah, but that is a cross between a Ghost and a 7-Pot Douglah that mostly resembles the latter of those two peppers, in my mind), which is also concluding here with this sauce.

In many respects, this sauce falls between the Karma Ashes 2 Ashes (also reviewed elsewhere here) and the Plague. The elements of sweetness here temper the Douglah sourness somewhat, which allows more of that classic superhot bitterness to creep in, and it, while still very sour, is notably less sour than the Plague, but nowhere near as sweet (or as good or as hot) as the Ashes 2 Ashes. It is definitely a blazer, as the 7-Pot Douglah is definitely a superhot and this is very much a chilehead only sauce.

For me, as mentioned, I don't really like sour sauces much, hot or otherwise, including this one. It is, just, palatable enough for me to use as a tolerance builder, so I will definitely finish out the bottle, but I have little to no interest in getting another. The label very nicely suggests things to go with it, such as white meats and vegetarian dishes, but the latter I don't eat much, if any, of and on things like chicken and fish, it is on the okayish side, but it is a flavor I tire of pretty rapidly. The various other notes, cider vinegar and tropical fruit, don't really factor in to the taste mix too much here, as the Douglah, as it has been the other times I've had sauces with it, is a quite forceful flavor. 

Bottom line: If you're a chilehead with a taste for the bitterness of superhots on the sour side, this is worth a go.

Breakdown:

           Heat level: 3
           Flavor: 2
           Flexibility: 3
           Enjoyment to dollar factor: 4

Overall: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment