Friday, August 30, 2024

Double Comfort Blues City Hot Sauce Review

Double Comfort Blues City


When you think of Blues City, I suppose the first thing that comes to mind is Memphis, Tennessee, and indeed, I suspect that is what they're going for here. The ingredient list, like Memphis Heat (reviewed elsewhere here) before it, is sort of a spin off of on the Cajun style, itself a spin on the Louisiana-style Cayenne sauce. I believe this was meant to be a less hot version of that other sauce and indeed, the heat level here is very low, as is usually the case with both of the other styles mentioned.

This reminds me, in many ways, of a more liquified and much more garlic and vinegar forward version of the first iteration of the KFC Nashville Hot flavoring system, which was my introduction, years and years ago, to that style of flavoring. Here we have a bit of sweetness to complement those other flavors and a very nice rounding to the sauce as a whole. For me personally, I tend to find Cajun style sauces a bit busy and that would also apply to this, which does cut down a bit on flexibility for me, but that is very much my own distinctive tastes and this is another fine-flavored entry from a hot sauce company I continue to be impressed by. 

Like those other styles, it is a fairly loose sauce, so it would need something in which to either soak into, like the breading on a fried food, though, again, this is outside of my preference a bit there, or better yet, with strong flavors to gel with, such as some barbequed ribs or perhaps a nice cream based sauce, like an Aflredo or mac & cheese, basically the usual suspects for those other types as well.

Bottom line: A variation on a theme that takes on its own unique and strong identity, this is definitely a good representative of that style and if vinegar-foward sauces are your jam, this is well worth picking up.

Breakdown:

           Heat level: 1
           Flavor: 8
           Flexibility: 5
           Enjoyment to dollar factor: 7

Overall: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment