Saturday, July 13, 2013

Habanero Hot Sauce From Hell Review

Habanero Hot Sauce From Hell

Oddly enough, this is the first sauce I've had with carrot as ingredient. I've been very curious about trying one of the carrot sauces, but idly and this one was sort of by surprise. I got this during one of my initial "waves" of hot sauce buying (I typically buy around $75 at a time or whatever it takes for free shipping) during a Black Friday sale, if memory serves right and it sat there and sat there on my shelf, staring at me with its hokey packaging until I finally ran through almost of all of my most recent wave and I finally threw down and said to Hell with it and cracked it open.

I was, of course, immediately regretful I waited that long. What I found was a sauce that was delicious, complex and seemed a brilliant marriage of the best that Louisiana-style sauces and red habanero sauces have to offer. There was the comforting familiarity, like that of an old friend, like something I'd had and enjoyed a million times, the back end heat of the habaneros, the muted yet present blast of something like El Yucateco Red (reviewed in this blog elsewhere), though much hotter than that particular sauce and a new aspect, which I'm attributing to the carrots.

This is one of those sauces that takes a bit to get going, but it does a decent job of lighting one up, mainly because it's so good, it's difficult to stop eating. At times, though, the level of heat makes me wonder if there's not some (unlisted) extract in there. It doesn't have the sustained effect of an actual extract sauce, but it definitely has some good charge. It's not on the level of deliciousness of say, Pure Death (also reviewed elsewhere in this blog) or Red Devil, two of my most favorites sauces ever, but it is very, very good, across a pretty wide variety of foods. The packaging is actually a disservice to the sauce, which is definitely something you should by trying, if you haven't already.

Bottom line: This is a sauce orange in color, but don't let that or the stupid graphics of the label fool you. This one packs a pretty decent wallop and it's an excellent habanero sauce, skillfully blending the best of both straight habanero sauces, Louisiana-style sauces with the addition of carrots providing a unique twist.

Breakdown:

   Heat level: 3
   Flavor: 8
   Flexibility: 9
   Enjoyment to dollar factor: 10

Overall: 8

No comments:

Post a Comment