Saturday, July 20, 2013

Maggi Sweet Chili Sauce Review

Maggi Mild Sweet Chili Sauce

In my quest to find the mystery sweet hot chili sauce that had eluded me for so long, I picked up this bottle as soon as I saw it and congratulated myself for being a dunce. Of course! Maggi, a name synonymous (to me) with Asian cuisine, that brown bottle of a sauce called simply "Seasoning" with the yellow and red label in the cupboard or on the table of nearly every Asian home I ever visited or restaurant I frequented. This had to be it! Now, I bought this before I tried the Wicked Cactus Wrath Of The Tiger hot sauce (also reviewed elsewhere in this blog) and that one came pretty close to how I remembered that sauce and I enjoyed it a great deal, enough so that I will buy it again, but if this turned out to be the actual thing...

Short story shorter, no, it is not. This one is a lot chunkier and midway between the gloppy sauces like Thai Kitchen and the more runny versions, like the aforementioned Wrath Of The Tiger. The taste is excellent, exactly what a sweet chili/garlic sauce should be, not too sweet and not too heavy on the garlic side.  If it was just a bit runnier, the consistency would be nearly dead on the money. The heat level is probably a bit higher to non-chileheads, but for me, it was just enough to be there, nothing major, but a nice little sizzle to give it just a touch of bite. The labeling is mostly Chinese, Mandarin, if I'm reading it right, was probably imported and intended for one of those grocers or possibly a Thai or Vietnamese market.

Bottom line: In researching Maggi (still not sure how I could have forgotten them as a potential source -- at one time, I was eating their products daily), they have several other variations that appear to be a bit runnier, including a Thai chili sauce, so I may try to hunt those down. While this is not the one I had in mind, it is a wonderfully tasty sauce, albeit a bit on the thicker side for my liking.

Breakdown:

        Heat level: 1
        Flavor: 8
        Flexibility: 7
        Enjoyment to dollar factor: 8

Overall: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment