Saturday, December 16, 2023

Silk City Misery Loves Company Hot Sauce Review

Silk City Misery Loves Company 

Note: Support video available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQYThSmhdds

The full name of this appears to be Misery Loves Company Lone Wolf Hot Sauce...I think, and it's another tie-in sauce, this time with a podcast...I think. Maybe. I find the naming convention of this sauce honestly a bit odd because the last thing it is, in any way, is miserable. Indeed, this is yet another stunner from one of the most creative minds out there in the hot sauce world. 

Here we have a sauce that utilizes figs, fire-roasted peppers, and balsamic, all to gorgeous effect. It's a sauce that is at once sweet, just has a depth of flavor and body to it that speaks of excellence in design. Playing with figs can be challenging, both because of their innate hyper-sweetness, but also because they tend to make things on the thicker side when used. Happily, here we have a nice medium thick sauce that is what I would put as ideal for that ingredient. The Habaneros add a bit more body, a bit of bitter, and are the main heat driver, though this is not a particularly blazing entry.

If you're a chilehead who likes figs and absolutely I'm among that number, this is a stellar sauce to behold, particularly if you also like fire-roasted peppers, which I also do. Obviously, this is going to pair well with cheese and crackers, but it would be also on some Arabian foods and is a dream on the lighter meats, not counting fish. I think it could work on calamari or shrimp, but I didn't particularly find it a success on fish and I found it a bit overly sweet for what I want on a burger. I am considering it on some ham, but haven't hit on how I want to use it there just yet, but that does call to mind that this a very fun and lively sauce and a pleasure to experiment with and even if it misses (case in point, I found it more interesting than good on pizza, but it was still loads of fun to try), the deliciousness of this sauce still carries through and saves it from being inedible. With some of the best value for dollar out there, it's pretty hard to miss with this one.

Bottom line: Jeff Levine comes up with some absolute wonders of sauces and this is among them. Definitely better if you like your sauces on the sweeter side, but the lower heat should keep this pretty accessible to the chilehead-curious.

Breakdown:

            Heat level: 1
            Flavor: 10
            Flexibility: 4
            Enjoyment to dollar factor: 10

Overall: 7

No comments:

Post a Comment