Friday, July 26, 2024

Maritime Madness Frig That's Hot! Friggin' Hot Sauce Review

Maritime Madness Frig That's Hot!

Note: Support video available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLCPlh3HBk8

I debated kicking this off with an expression of confusion over what, exactly, Odin's wife had to do with any of this, but since her name is Frigg, that wouldn't really make a lot of sense. "Frig," in this sense, is meant to be an alternate to the fuck word, as opposed to a shortening of "frigate," perhaps best and most humorously exemplified in the seminal "Friggin' In The Riggin'" song from the Sex Pistols, but I digress.

What we have here is a very Habanero-forward sauce, that reminds me a bit of a cross between a cocktail sauce and a Louisiana-style Cayenne sauce. Both tomatoes, one of the most underrated ingredients for a hot sauce, and apples do a lot of tempering of this, creating a nice roundness, but with Habaneros as the first ingredient, there is a strong degree of build here as well. Given that it is Habanero, there is a limit to how hot it will get, but this is quite respectable for a Habanero sauce, I will say. It is probably a bit more than beginner level, but not quite to where I would call it chilehead only.

In terms of usage, I have been using it nearly exclusively as a substitute in place of my usual Louisiana-style sauce and it works pretty well there, but is perhaps slightly more flexible in that it does very nicely with things such as shrimp cocktail, where I would not normally use something that vinegary. It is somewhat thicker than the aforementioned style and comes again in the nifty 8 fl. oz. squeeze bottles, so you can definitely control where the sauce goes. I'm not a huge fan of Habanero flavor, so I can't say I prefer this to a good Louisiana-style, but it is definitely notably hotter.

Bottom line: My favorite sauce so far from them and with a very interesting and novel approach to a vinegar forward Habanero-based hot sauce. 

Breakdown:

           Heat level: 2
           Flavor: 7
           Flexibility: 6
           Enjoyment to dollar factor: 8

Overall: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment